This week there isn’t a very long list of changes, but there’s still an update nonetheless. We spent some time polishing up some elements of a boss fight and the space it takes place in. Some attention was given to filling in a bunch of blank spaces across the terrain, which can now be fully (and nicely) navigated. Additionally, some font sizing issues are FINALLY resolved for the dialog, so now that’s moving smoother. Despite a slower week than last, we’re ready to head into this week replenished and ready to rock. We did set some work sessions for the coming week involving polish on specific features and balancing them for the next test build. Bigger things we’re still working on though are mostly enemies, npcs and dialog.
Talk to y’all soon,
This week Larry put in a lot of extra time to catch up on several pieces of artwork relating to level geometry. This is just more tiles for terrain, interior floors/walls and structures. In addition to this he drew some “decor” items for structure exteriors (but hasn’t brought them into the build just yet). These are things like grates, signage, solar paneling and bits of texture to lay over exterior structure tiles to look more bricked, striped, or honeycombed. There are now several dozen objects (both interactive and static) that will be seen in the next build.
Gewargis continued working on the dialogue system. He was having trouble getting the art to be pixel perfect, but he was able to figure it out today. We switched from using a world space canvas to a screen space canvas.
We’re just about there on rudimentary NPCs (basically a person other than the intern who can kinda mill about) we just need animation cues for when our lovely new NPC is walking or jumping or any of the other animation cues. The NPC won’t do much else for now but soon we’ll be hooking them into the dialog system. Stay tuned!
(hi Dr. Nick),
Here are some highlights of what we worked on today:
Mason started the the foundations of all NPCs in Moon Intern. He also started work on an animation override controller that will allow us to streamline the animation creation process for NPCs and all characters and prefabs that have a similar animation style to the intern (basic humanoids). Expect to see more on this soon.
Larry worked on the tester playground, building structures, rooms, decorating rooms, connecting doors, adding enemies, and all sorts of fun stuff for our testers to play with. He’s also busy with getting the test build and other scenes in the game organized so we’re ready to keep iterating test builds using these scenes.
Gewargis continued his work on the dialogue system.
We also had a meeting about the upcoming build. We don’t have a date currently set, but expect more info about this soon. We’re all getting excited to show our recent changes to everyone.
Hey there, Moon folks! This week the Intern got some major improvements along with his good buddy Coily (the notoriously big member of the robot gang). First of all, the Intern’s collision has been improved to better recognize when the player is fully grounded on a slope. The Intern game object used to have a hard time recognizing that it’s grounded when landing on sloped ground. This was getting to be a pretty annoying problem so we’re glad it’s behind us.
We were also able to improve the Intern’s bounciness. At high falling velocity the Intern is meant to bounce off of the ground in a similar fashion to how the Apollo astronauts appeared to bounce around on the moon. Without capping the bounce impulse we would occasionally get insane bounces but now they should be more consistent.
This week’s update is a little different…everyone will be saying what they worked on instead of one collective post.
I continued working on the new dialogue system. I started on creating a default prefab that most NPCs would use. I’m also learning how to configure the dialogue in different ways.
More work on the game manager and the scene flow, specifically dealing with persistence from scene to scene of objects and data. It’s all about getting the intern to and from everywhere and not losing the important things.
The way the intern handles passing through certain platforms has been much improved. We were able to get it working before but working isn’t always the final state for a lot of things in game design. Without getting too specific, the pass through logic uses Unity’s layer mask system instead of a custom system that looked at individual platforms. Another example of a big/small change.
Worked on more prefabs for interiors, exteriors and terrain. Was mainly concerned with slopes. These are not only for scene generation, but mostly right now I’m drafting out game spaces. Spent some time thinking about how we’ll use all these prefabs without having any nested prefabs to muck things up. More game spaces to come in the next weeks as we ready the next test build.